Sunday, 17 November 2024

Ottawa, November 17, 2024

 Hello All;  I do not have much new to report, but wish to say a few words before departing.

In 72 hours, I will be on my way to Vancouver, then Thailand. I depart here on Wednesday at six in the evening, Ottawa time, for the five hour flight to Vancouver. Three hours there, then off to Bangkok. 

I am in the big city for five days, then we go down to Pattaya on the beach for two weeks. The hotel we have is on the beach of the Gulf of Thailand. (Back when some of us were in school, it was known as the Gulf of Siam, as was the country).

I will be doing updates from time to time as time allows.  Take care  

Wednesday, 2 October 2024

Ottawa, Ontario October 2, 2024

 Hello all; I am back, and have some updates for you. My recovery from the surgery has been better than most would expect, and I have approval from the medical experts to travel after the end of October.

I have booked my next flight...to Bangkok, Thailand, departing Ottawa November 20, travelling through Vancouver both ways.  I will arrive in Bangkok on November 22. This is because about half way across the Pacific Ocean, near an Island, known as Midway, the International dateline is crossed. This is where day begins. When we cross that line, we are in November 22. When I return, after crossing that line, we go backwards and relive yesterday. Many folks fine this upsets their routines, and for many, it takes quite some time to back to get back to normal. The flight from Vancouver is about 16 hours, and returning, it will be around 15 hours. We will have headwinds on the way to Thailand, and tail winds on the way home...also from Vancouver to Ottawa.

The entire trip is with Air Canada....they fly into Thailand from Vancouver daily during the late fall  and winter months.  Since I am travelling in the off season, my ticket is just over $2000.00. 

I will be having some dental work done with my friends at Bangkok Smile dental. My family friends in Thailand will be with me for the duration of my time there. After a few days in the big city, time to recover from the flight, relax, and have the dental work, we will go down to Pattaya. This is where I usually do some volunteer work..at the Orphanage there. ..teach English, fix bikes, and so on. Since this now requires a Work Visa, I do not expect to work there, but will do an Ice Cream Day. I do this each time I go there. They call an Ice Cream truck, and the kids get to take their choice of the cold treat, Papa Don picks up the tab.

I will do an update before departing Ottawa. Take Care.

Friday, 13 September 2024

Ottawa, Friday, September 13, 2024

 Hello all;   The long summer wait is now over. After waiting 134 days, I had my surgery for the hernia yesterday. Everything went very well, in operating room and out in an hour and a half. Many tests, Ultra-sound, MRI, etc, etc were done a few days before, so the doctors knew there was no collateral damage.

Every staff member at the hospital was fantastic, and friendly, I gave them all top marks in a follow up survey today. The next four to six weeks will be to take things easy and slow, no lifting over ten pounds, etc. I will allow myself three months before air travelling again. Later in October, assuming everything is on track, I will book some flights. As stated in an earlier note, I plan to fly into Istanbul for  several weeks, and, depending on my Thai friends, I will either fly into Bangkok, or, they will come to Istanbul.

I was out walking twice today, and have family and many friends offering help and support for whatever I need. This is much appreciated....many of them just say....we are trying to pay back what you have done for us.

I will do an update towards the end of September as to how everything is going....Take care/Don

 

Tuesday, 20 August 2024

Ottawa, August 20, 2024

 Hello all;  Here is the latest on my situation. This morning, I received a call from the Ottawa hospital informing me that my surgery will be September 12. This came as a big , but welcome surprise, as I had been informed two weeks ago that the required Ultrasound/X-rays would be on October 3.  That is now scheduled for September 6.

If all goes as planned, I will be able to travel again two months after the surgery. It is my plan now, after talking with my Thai friends, to only travel to Istanbul for a few weeks, then return home. My friends in Bangkok will meet me in Turkiye and enjoy a visit to that area. 

This is the situation as of today. I will update after the surgery and when more of the travel components have been confirmed. Take care. 

Thursday, 25 July 2024

UPDATE JULY 25, 2024

 Hello all;   My how time flies...here we are near the end of July. I had a meeting with the Chief Surgeon of the Ottawa Hospitals yesterday. The earliest that I will be able to get the operation will be in September, and no guarantees for that. In this case, the Chief Surgeon will also be the surgeon for my operation.

I filled out a long Questionair and also signed the papers to authorize the surgery when possible, so all the paperwork is ready. The doctor went over the procedures and advised me that recovery will be six weeks to two months. I will take a full two months, as I intend to travel to Turkiye and Thailand when flying is again possible for me. At this point in time, my plan is to take the VIA Train to Montreal airport, fly Turkish Airlines to Istanbul airport, then after several weeks, either Turkish Airlines or Thai Airways to Bangkok. I understand that Air Canada will again operate from Bangkok to Vancouver non stop again this winter. This routing will give us a tail wind all the way around, making the air time 3-5 hours less than the reverse. This is the project I am working on while I await that phone call.....to come to the hospital.

Take care, and enjoy what is left of the summer of 2024

Tuesday, 4 June 2024

Ottawa, June 4, 2024 -GROUNDED-

 Hello all; Yes, I have been grounded, possibly until the end of the year. A month ago, I woke up one morning and found a lump on my Groin. I went on line to "Dr. Google", and asked..."What is a Hernia". There was all the information I needed to confirm my suspicions. I went to the Emergency room at one of the local hospitals, waited over seven hours, and then was seen by a doctor. He confirmed it, and informed me that it may be the end of the year before I could have surgery. These are very low priority in the medical field.

Although I had not booked any flights, I was working with friends in Thailand to meet me in Istanbul in June. It was my intention to be there for Hussian's birthday on the 24th. I now have what is known as ,"a pre-existing condition", in the insurance field, so even if I wanted to travel, there would be no medical or trip cancellation insurance available. 

That is the status at this time.      Take care, and safe travels if you are able to do so. While I have advised my family doctor that I would take any cancellation time that may come available, I expect to be here , grounded until late in the year. 

Friday, 12 April 2024

Ottawa, April 12, 2024

 Hello All;  I am doing an update as best I can, but do not have any firm plans to travel at this time.

Two Days ago, I went to the Passport office here and applied for another ten year passport, which I should have in about four weeks. My old passport expired at the end of January, 2025. As many of you will know, most countries require that your passport be valid for al least six months AFTER you plan to depart their country. Therefore, I had to get a new passport for any fall travel.

I have several family members from western Canada who have indicated their desire to come here during this summer...nothing certain yet. I also have a friend from Poland who plans to do a quick holiday here, however again, no time frame for that.

My friend in Istanbul must find a new school for Hussian, so she is busy with that ordeal. From the time they returned to Turkiye, Hussian had to attend a private school, of which there are a few, but all with limited space. He now must move on, and time will tell the results there. The rule requires children who are not fluent in the Turkish language to attend private schools. The Public schools are closed to them.

It is my intention to travel to Istanbul sometime later on in the year, maybe late August or September. My friends from Thailand would meet me there, and save that rather long trip for others to do. The BIG problem in all this , is the fact that everyone is being warned about visiting the Middle East at this time...it could blow up into a larger war at any time. The pacific option for Thailand is also not a good one as North Korea is making threats again. So, for now, I will stay home and help where I can here.

I will do an update when I have some concrete plans for myself and others. Thank you.