Tuesday, 20 August 2024

Ottawa, August 20, 2024

 Hello all;  Here is the latest on my situation. This morning, I received a call from the Ottawa hospital informing me that my surgery will be September 12. This came as a big , but welcome surprise, as I had been informed two weeks ago that the required Ultrasound/X-rays would be on October 3.  That is now scheduled for September 6.

If all goes as planned, I will be able to travel again two months after the surgery. It is my plan now, after talking with my Thai friends, to only travel to Istanbul for a few weeks, then return home. My friends in Bangkok will meet me in Turkiye and enjoy a visit to that area. 

This is the situation as of today. I will update after the surgery and when more of the travel components have been confirmed. Take care. 

Thursday, 25 July 2024

UPDATE JULY 25, 2024

 Hello all;   My how time flies...here we are near the end of July. I had a meeting with the Chief Surgeon of the Ottawa Hospitals yesterday. The earliest that I will be able to get the operation will be in September, and no guarantees for that. In this case, the Chief Surgeon will also be the surgeon for my operation.

I filled out a long Questionair and also signed the papers to authorize the surgery when possible, so all the paperwork is ready. The doctor went over the procedures and advised me that recovery will be six weeks to two months. I will take a full two months, as I intend to travel to Turkiye and Thailand when flying is again possible for me. At this point in time, my plan is to take the VIA Train to Montreal airport, fly Turkish Airlines to Istanbul airport, then after several weeks, either Turkish Airlines or Thai Airways to Bangkok. I understand that Air Canada will again operate from Bangkok to Vancouver non stop again this winter. This routing will give us a tail wind all the way around, making the air time 3-5 hours less than the reverse. This is the project I am working on while I await that phone call.....to come to the hospital.

Take care, and enjoy what is left of the summer of 2024

Tuesday, 4 June 2024

Ottawa, June 4, 2024 -GROUNDED-

 Hello all; Yes, I have been grounded, possibly until the end of the year. A month ago, I woke up one morning and found a lump on my Groin. I went on line to "Dr. Google", and asked..."What is a Hernia". There was all the information I needed to confirm my suspicions. I went to the Emergency room at one of the local hospitals, waited over seven hours, and then was seen by a doctor. He confirmed it, and informed me that it may be the end of the year before I could have surgery. These are very low priority in the medical field.

Although I had not booked any flights, I was working with friends in Thailand to meet me in Istanbul in June. It was my intention to be there for Hussian's birthday on the 24th. I now have what is known as ,"a pre-existing condition", in the insurance field, so even if I wanted to travel, there would be no medical or trip cancellation insurance available. 

That is the status at this time.      Take care, and safe travels if you are able to do so. While I have advised my family doctor that I would take any cancellation time that may come available, I expect to be here , grounded until late in the year. 

Friday, 12 April 2024

Ottawa, April 12, 2024

 Hello All;  I am doing an update as best I can, but do not have any firm plans to travel at this time.

Two Days ago, I went to the Passport office here and applied for another ten year passport, which I should have in about four weeks. My old passport expired at the end of January, 2025. As many of you will know, most countries require that your passport be valid for al least six months AFTER you plan to depart their country. Therefore, I had to get a new passport for any fall travel.

I have several family members from western Canada who have indicated their desire to come here during this summer...nothing certain yet. I also have a friend from Poland who plans to do a quick holiday here, however again, no time frame for that.

My friend in Istanbul must find a new school for Hussian, so she is busy with that ordeal. From the time they returned to Turkiye, Hussian had to attend a private school, of which there are a few, but all with limited space. He now must move on, and time will tell the results there. The rule requires children who are not fluent in the Turkish language to attend private schools. The Public schools are closed to them.

It is my intention to travel to Istanbul sometime later on in the year, maybe late August or September. My friends from Thailand would meet me there, and save that rather long trip for others to do. The BIG problem in all this , is the fact that everyone is being warned about visiting the Middle East at this time...it could blow up into a larger war at any time. The pacific option for Thailand is also not a good one as North Korea is making threats again. So, for now, I will stay home and help where I can here.

I will do an update when I have some concrete plans for myself and others. Thank you.

Monday, 8 January 2024

Ottawa, January 8, 2024

 Hello all, and Happy New Year to each and every one. I do not have much to report, but I am still watching world events and will decide soon if there will be any foreign travel in the first half of the year. At this time, that looks unlikely.

The situation in the mid-east is getting more dangerous by the day, and the pacific area is also in a very precarious situation. Depending on election results later this week, the China/Taiwan area is likely to get more dangerous. The same goes for the North/South Korea airspace.

I would sooner stay here in Canada than take a chance and get stranded on the far side of the world.

My friends in Turkiye may be moving to either London or back to Canada before long, so I am awaiting the outcome there. 

At this point in time, I may do a trip to England if my friends go there; if not, I may do a hop over to Paris after the Summer Olympics. We have direct flights there five days a week now from Ottawa on Air France.

I will know more in April. Until then....I will stay here in a cold, snowy Canada.

Take Care!.  

Saturday, 14 October 2023

Ottawa, October 14, 2023 Part 2

 As most of you know, I usually have at least one flight planned as soon as I return to Canada. For the past three years my travels have all been out of the country. I am now forced to change my plans. I was intending to spend the month of February next year with my little friend, Hussian and his mother in Istanbul. That will not happen.

With the recent renewal of war in the Middle East, travel into any part of that area is not recommended unless for urgent matters. Millions of refugees are looking for safer lands, and accommodation is going to be hard to fine. After chats with Hussians mom, we decided it best not to plan any travel there at this time.

So, for the first time in years, I have no definate  plans for travel at this time. I will be here in Ottawa for all of the holiday season. Take care. 

Ottawa, October 14, 2023

 Hello All;  We returned from our western trip last Saturday, October 7, and I now have the time to do an update. We flew with Porter Airlines both ways, and had great flights. Outbound, we flew to Toronto, and had a change of planes. There was a problem with the aircraft taking us to Edmonton, so we were delayed for an hour and a half. Since we were only away for seven days, we travelled with a back-pack each and had no checked luggage. Upon arrival in Edmonton, we picked up an Enterprise car rental that I had reserved for our time there in the west. The folks at Enterprise gave me an upgrade to a Chev Malibu, and waived the second driver fee. We shared driving and got to Grand Prairie Alberta that evening where I had reserved a hotel. A dinner with a family member was cancelled on route as we were too late for that, so we met for breakfast the following morning instead.

Our next stop was in the town of Beaverlodge where we had a visit with Bev Scott, the mother of our breakfast date. As one enters Beaverlodge, there is a giant beaver , probably 25 feet long beside the road to greet travelers. WE gassed the car in Hythe, just before crossing into B.C. The gas price per liter is over 20 cents cheaper on the Alberta side. 

We visited with family and friends for the remainder of our time there, stopping in Dawson Creek and Ft. St John. I have one sister  and a brother in Dawson, and two brothers in St John. There are also many cousins, nieces , nephews, and and friends in the area. Our western most point west was a short drive from St John to Bear Flats, where a cousin lives. Their farm is near the sight of  the Site C dam on the Peace River. When the Dam bypass tunnels are blasted shut this fall, the water will cover a large portion of their land.

I was able to see all family members except one brother. He resides in a seniors home and they had a version of Covid going around, so we just chatted on the phone. In Edmonton on the return, a cousin drove up from Red Deer for lunch with us, and we visited old friends for dinner at their farm that evening. Saturday morning, we returned the car and had an excellent, on time flight home.