Tuesday 29 August 2023

Istanbul, 29 August 2023

Hello all;  This will be my last posting from Istanbul for this trip. Around eight here this evening, I will take the Metro train to the airport. I must be at the airport by four in the morning, and depart just after seven. I will go out there and read, and relax rather than taking a taxi in the middle of the night. If all goes as scheduled, I will be home to Ottawa around six Wednesday evening.

Yesterday, we had a bit of an adventure, that was unexpected. It was our plan to take the Metro to the station that serves the famous Pierre Loti restaurant and ridge top view point. From the Metro station, one takes a Gondola lift to the top. Here they call it a Teleferek. We use the Metro card for the lift up; this is four gondola cars, two at the top and two at the bottom. Each car holds about eight adults, depending on size. When the two depart the bottom, the top two must also depart as they are fixed to the same cables.

We waited in the line up for about twenty minutes before getting our space to go up. We had a nice ride, with the elevation being about 1500 feet up the ridge, and the ride being about a kilometre. Since the rush was just starting, we had no problem getting a table with a grand view and then having breakfast.

After about an hour and a half at the top, we departed the restaurant.........and to our surprise they had a mechanical problem with the gondola system, and everyone had to walk down. It was a steep descent and took about 30 minutes. It was 34 degrees, so an ice cream was in order at the bottom. 

Upon my return, when time permits, I will do a posting with photos from Pierre Loti. I will have a friend help with that, as it is not something I can easily do myself.

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment